Ala Carte Subscription FAQs
What is Cherry Valley Organics?
Cherry Valley Organics is a certified organic farm-based producer of a wide variety of agricultural products, founded in 2001 by Jodi Danyo.
Where is the farm located?
The farm is situated in the small town of Cherry Valley (between the towns of Hickory and Burgettstown), Washington County, only 20 miles from downtown Pittsburgh.
Are you actually organic or do you just claim to be "sustainable"?
Cherry Valley Organics is a USDA-certified organic producer of fruit, herb, vegetable, flower, and potted plant crops. We are also a certified organic processor and handler of dried herbs, dried fruits/vegetables, herbal teas, and flavored vinegars.
"Go Organic, Stay Local!" has been our motto since our inception.
Do you offer a "CSA" or other share-based program?
Unlike traditional "farm share" programs, our subscription service is entirely "a la carte," which offers tremendous flexibility and availability to the subscriber. Orders are placed from a weekly "menu" of product offerings, with no obligation to order each week.
What products are available through the subscription service?
All farm products are available for purchase by subscribers, including over 100 varieties of vegetables and specialty greens, over 60 varieties of herbs, and over 200 varieties of specialty cut flowers.
In addition, we offer potted plants, herbal teas, and herbal bath & body products, all of which are grown or hand-made at the farm.
How long is the subscription season?
The 2017 season spans approximately 35 weeks (starting the first week of May and running weekly, until November and December when biweekly deliveries will be made for a total of approximately 30 weeks of deliveries), depending on seasonal weather conditions. Despite delivery times for fresh produce, customers may purchase non-produce items online or at our market stands beginning at their time of payment and ending on December 31, 2017.
Where are your pick-up sites?
Orders are delivered packed in "self-serve" coolers each week to pick-up sites in the following communities:
(Specific drop off locations and additional communities TBD based on interest.)
- Cherry Valley (near the Burgettstown/Hickory area)
- South Hills (McMurray, Upper St.Clair, Peters, Mt. Lebanon)
- South Fayette
- First priority access to all of our certified organic products, including our popular specialty greens and heirloom tomatoes!
- 10% off regular prices for all of our specialty, value-added products, such as our herbal teas and our bath & body product line.
- Free products throughout the season as a special member benefit!
- Free shipping on value-added products purchased through our web store throughout the "off-season" (local addresses only).
- An opportunity to try unique, hard to find vegetables such as tatsoi, broccoli raab, sunchokes, and many more!
How much does a subscription cost?
To streamline the farm's bookkeeping, as well as to provide a revenue stream to purchase seeds and supplies in the early season, subscribers pay a one time $100 membership fee as well as establish a $400 account at the outset of the season, which is then debited per order, for a total cost of $500. Orders above and beyond the initial $400 account will be invoiced on a monthly basis. There is no minimum order.
This year, as an incentive, we are offering a BONUS $50 to be added to your account when you sign up by December 31, 2016. This means your total cost will still be $500, but you will have an account balance of $450 (instead of $400) to spend on items throughout the season.
Can you provide examples of your unit prices?
Please note that this price list is intended to be representative only, and is not comprehensive. Also, prices are not guaranteed, but are subject to change at any time. Produce items may be ordered by the partial pound.
- Cucumbers $3.00 per lb.
- Head Lettuce $6.00 per lb.
- Sugar Snap Peas $6.00 per lb.
- Green Peppers $4.00 per lb.
- Potatoes $3.00 per lb.
- Black Raspberries $5.00 per pint
- Arugula $14.00 per lb.
- Seasonal Salad Mix $14.00 per lb.
- Summer Squash & Zucchini $2.50 per lb.
- Winter Squash $1.75 per lb.
- Swiss Chard $5.00 per lb.
- Heirloom Tomatoes $5.00 per lb.
- Fresh Cut Herbs $12.00 to $30.00 per lb.
- Bouquets $15.00 to $25.00 each
- Dried Flower Wreaths $40.00 to $80.00 each
- Sunflowers By-the-Stem $1.00 to $2.00 per stem
- Herbal Teas (16-bag container) $8.00 each
- Dried Herbs $3.50 to $6.00 per ounce
- Herbal Soap (4.5 - 5 oz.) $6.00 to $7.00 each
- Herbal Salves (.4 - 1.75 oz.) $6.00 to $12.00 each
- Lip Balms and Glosses (.08 - .15 oz.) $4.00 to $6.00 each
- Annual Flowers $6.00 per 4-pack
- Perennial Flowers $6.00 per 4.5" pot
- Herbs $4.50 per 3.5" pot (3 for $12)
- Veggie Starts $4.50 per 3.5" pot (3 for $12)
Any other fine print?
The $400 account balance must be spent during the 2017 calendar year. Remaining balances will be forfeited.
Sounds great! How do I sign up?
To reserve your subscription, please mail a check for $500.00 to:
Cherry Valley Organics, 518 Joffre Cherry Valley Road, Burgettstown, PA 15021
Or send us an email at email@example.com for more information!