Farm Share Program
Locally-Grown and Farm Fresh
We're excited to be able to provide your family with a wide selection of delicious, organic vegetables each and every week throughout the growing season from the week of May 23rd to November 5th, 2022. Cherry Valley Organics is one of only a few USDA Certified Organic farms in Western Pennsylvania, and our Farm Share program is among the most unique CSAs in Pittsburgh.
For $35.00 per week, you get to enjoy a wide diversity of locally-grown, farm-fresh goodness! You can sign up for our Pittsburgh CSA here or keep reading for more details about our customizable farm share program.
What is a CSA?
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs are a powerful tool for small farmers like us. They enable customers to invest in a local farm in exchange for a weekly or every other week "share" of fresh seasonal produce. You provide early-season financial support to a small farm like ours by paying for part of your "share" at the start of the growing season, then we pay you back by delivering a box of delicious organic fruits and vegetables from late May through early November. This cooperative is a win-win for both our small farm and you! We're able to purchase the seeds and supplies we need to grow our crops, and you're able to fill your kitchen with locally grown goodness for 24 weeks out of the year.
In 2022, we are moving back to a completely ala carte farm share ordering experience, which will be hosted right here on our Cherry Valley Organics website.
Keep reading to learn what makes our CSA program so special.
* We wash the produce. Thoroughly. You are unlikely to get any mud in your CVO Farm Share bag. We still recommend that you wash our veggies, but many items will be ready to eat (and may make for excellent snacking in the car on the way home from the pick-up location).
* High diversity of veggie crops. We grow over 150 varieties of vegetables and herbs per season, on average.
* Specialty crops, like microgreens. It's a bit unusual to see this high-value crop in farm share programs. They are a bit tricky to grow, but wow do they pack a nutritional punch! Despite their small size, they are the most nutritious veggie in the share!
* We believe in minimizing our environmental impact, and we use biodegradable and compostable packaging wherever possible. We continually explore new sustainable packaging options for our products.
* Specialty cut flowers are a niche crop for us. We grow many of the hard-to-grow flower varieties like Ranunculus, Bells of Ireland, Delphinium, and more. Many more. Nearly 300 varieties! Our flowers are not your run-of-the-mill market flowers. Our bouquets are carefully crafted, and absolutely gorgeous!
* We have extensive partnerships with other local businesses and farms, including Primrose Farm (pasture-raised eggs), Paul Family Farms (maple syrup), Tait Farm (jams, butters, shrubs), Weatherbury Farm (flours, milled products), Big Bob's Honey (honey), Clarion River Organics (potatoes, sweet potatoes, melons, winter squash), Woolf Family Farms (blueberries, apples, peaches), Cherish Creamery (cheese), Emerald Valley Artisans (cheese), Steel Cup Coffee Roasters (organic, fair-trade coffee), Conover Family Farm (pickles, hot sauce) and more! A selection of these items is available on a weekly basis and can be added to your Veggie Farm Share in any quantity you choose. We believe in the value of small business and keeping dollars in our Pittsburgh neighborhoods.