What makes our edible flowers so special
As a USDA certified organic farm, we take great pride in growing our edible flowers without the use of synthetic chemical pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides. This means that when you eat our edible blooms, you're only tasting nature. If you purchase flowers from your local florist to use in recipes or as food decorations, there's a good chance they were grown using a whole host of synthetic chemicals not meant for human consumption. Florists sell flowers to use in arrangements, not in the kitchen.
How we grow our edible flowers
Our certified organic edible flowers are grown right here on our farm, located just 20 miles from downtown Pittsburgh, but we deliver them almost anywhere in the continental U.S. via next day shipping. We use organic compost to feed our soil, which in turn, generates the most gorgeous blooms possible. And, our unique plant support system means the flowering stems are kept upright to prevent soil from splashing up and spoiling the petals.
When the time is right, we harvest the flowers by hand at peak freshness. This ensures perfect petals and a crisp and bright texture and flavor. Our colorful organic edible flowers are prized by professional chefs all across the Western Pennsylvania region.
Edible flowers for sale: How to purchase from our farm
We sell our fresh-picked edible flowers a few different ways.
- First, if you know you need organic edible flowers for an upcoming event, contact us to place a special order. We'll work with you on color selections and varieties to ensure we have flowers available to match your needs. If we have enough notice, we can even grow a specific variety, just for your event.
- If you're a member of our Farm Share Program, edible flowers occasionally appear on your list of choices. If you see them as an add-on option for your weekly delivery, take advantage of it when you can.
- We also occasionally sell our edible flowers at the Sewickley Farmers Market on Saturday mornings, but unless you special order them, there's no guarantee that we'll have them with us every week.
Our edible flowers are packaged in clear, clam-shell-type containers, not plastic bags that are easily crushed.
Edible flower plants for your garden
In addition to selling harvested edible flowers, we also sell starter plants for several different types of edible flowers, if you'd like to grow the plants yourself. From pansies and nasturtiums to gem marigolds and globe amaranth, we have a wide selection of edible flower plants available during the spring planting season.
A list of our edible flower varieties
Though we grow new varieties every year, depending on the demand and our own preferences, here's a list of some of the edible flowers we grow here at Cherry Valley Organics:
- Gem Marigolds
- Bachelor Buttons
- Bee Balm
- Pineapple Sage
- Scented Geraniums
Dried edible flowers for sale
We also sell a few different types of dried organic edible flowers including:
- Blue Bachelor Buttons
- Purple Gomphrena
- Orange Calendula
Please contact us if you'd like to special order our edible flowers, or if you have any questions about the varieties we grow.
For more information on our certified organic farm's offerings, check out the following posts:
- Organic Wedding Flowers for Pittsburgh Brides
- How We Grow Shiitake and Oyster Mushrooms
- Why Our Organic Strawberries are the Right Choice
- Meet the Power Behind our Flowers: Grower Allie Logue
The Cherry Valley Organics Farm Family